Looking for something simple, flavorful, extremely customizeable, good for when you’re sick, or just simply trying to throw something together before you finally drag yourself to the grocery store? Look no further, friends. This is a light and tasty soup that is perfect for light dinners or lunches.
What you’ll need:
The bare bones:
-2 or three cans of black beans
-1 can of diced tomatoes
-1 cup of chicken broth
Spices: salt, pepper, garlic powder, chili powder, crushed red pepper, cumin, onion powder
Options: (I think they’d be good but they aren’t pictured because they weren’t included this time): can of corn, avocado, bell peppers, jalepeno, onion, cheese
- Open all of the cans and empty them into a mid-sized pot over medium heat. Drain one of the cans of black beans if you’d like a thicker soup.
- Add the chicken broth.
- Season, season, season your soup! Believe you me, season it more than you think you need to, because otherwise you’ll end up with a very bland sub-par mush. Nobody wants that. If you’re nervous about over-seasoning, taste as you go.
4. The soup should like similar to the above photo. Heat it to combine the spices but remove it from heat before it boils.
6. Once it’s blended to your liking, move it back to stove and heat.
7. Add garnishes to your liking. I personally think that avocado, cilantro, and goat cheese would be sublime. My husband added cheddar cheese.
Voila! The whole process should take no longer than 30 minutes and can be enjoyed alongside tortillas, tortilla chips, salsa, guacamole, or whatever else your heart desires (or let’s be real, what’s in your pantry :p). Enjoy!
What would you add to your own black bean soup?